NAICS Code 812112 – Beauty Salons
Definition of NAICS Code 812112: This U.S. industry comprises establishments (except those known as barber shops or men’s hair stylist shops) primarily engaged in one or more of the following:
- Cutting, trimming, shampooing, coloring, waving, or styling hair;
- Providing facials; and
- Applying makeup (except permanent makeup).
- You can also download your own copy of the complete 2017 NAICS Classification Manual. The NAICS Manual is updated every five years. The 2017 copy will be applicable until a new edition is produced in 2022.
Illustrative Examples of NAICS 812112
What are some examples of this code? The bulleted items below are illustrative examples of this classification.
- Beauty parlors or shops
- Facial salons or shops
- Combined beauty and barber shops
- Hairdressing salons or shops
- Cosmetology salons or shops
- Unisex or women’s hair stylist shops
Cross Reference Guide for Code 812112
What codes are similar to this classification that might be a more applicable code? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes for other similar industries. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Cutting, trimming, and styling men’s and boys’ hair (known as barber shops or men’s hair stylist shops)–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 812111, Barber Shops;
- Offering training in hair styling or the cosmetic arts–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 611511, Cosmetology and Barber Schools;
- Providing nail care services–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 812113, Nail Salons;
- Providing massage, electrolysis (i.e., hair removal), permanent makeup, or tanning services–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 812199, Other Personal Care Services; and
- Providing medical skin care services (e.g., cosmetic surgery, dermatology)–are classified in Sector 62, Health Care and Social Assistance.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 812112
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with this classification. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Beautician services
- Beauty and barber shops, combined
- Beauty parlors
- Beauty salons
- Beauty shops
- Cosmetology salons or shops
- Esthetician (i.e., skin care) services
- Facial salons
- Hair stylist salons or shops, unisex or women’s
- Hair stylist services, unisex or women’s
- Hairdresser services
- Hairdressing salons or shops, unisex or women’s
- Make-up (except permanent) salons
- Unisex hair stylist shops
Suggested Insurance Conversion Table for NAICS Code 812112
Looking for an insurance classification other than the North American Industry Classification System? If a company falls within the industry defined on this page, then the class codes mentioned below may be applicable. Please note that the bulleted cross-reference guide below is not authoritative. Users should have an insurance professional review to ensure proper insurance classification.
- NCCI WC (Varies by state): 9586
- CA WC: 9586
- DE WC: 977
- PA WC: 977
- MI WC: 9586
- NJ WC: 9586
- NY WC: 9586
- WY WC: 812112
- GL: 10115
- SIC: 7231
Resources: Praxiom, AceGroup, TDI, California Division of Workers Compensation, Delaware Workers Compensation Manual, Pennsylvania Workers Compensation Manual, Michigan Workers’ Compensation Placement Facility: Classification Definitions, New Jersey Workers Compensation and Employers Liability Insurance Manual, New York Workers Compensation and Employers Liability, North American Industry Classification System, Florida Underwriting Guide: Commercial General Liability Classifications, Standard Industrial Classifications.
The suggested cross reference guide for NAICS code 812112 is based on our research using the resources cited above.
Correlating Code Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry, and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code (Where you are now). If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 81: Other Services (except Public Administration)
- Subsector 812: Personal and Laundry Services
- Industry Group 8121: Personal Care Services
- Industry 81211: Hair, Nail, and Skin Care Services
- 6 Digit Code(s) NAICS 812111: Barber Shops
- 6 Digit Code(s) NAICS 812112: Beauty Salons
- 6 Digit Code(s) NAICS 812113: Nail Salons
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS Code 812112