NAICS Code 512210 – Record Production
Definition of NAICS Code 512210: This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in record production (e.g., tapes, CDs). These establishments contract with artists and arrange and finance the production of original master recordings. Establishments in this industry hold the copyright to the master recording and derive most of their revenues from the sales, leasing, and licensing of master recordings. Establishments in this industry do not have their own duplication or distribution capabilities.
- You can also download your own copy of the complete 2017 NAICS Classification Manual. The NAICS Manual is updated every five years. The 2017 copy will be applicable until a new edition is produced in 2022.
Cross Reference Guide for Code 512210
What codes are similar to this classification that might be a more applicable code? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes for other similar industries. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Releasing, promoting, and distributing recordings–are classified in Industry NAICS 512220, Integrated Record Production/Distribution;
- Promoting and authorizing the use of musical works in various media–are classified in Industry NAICS 512230, Music Publishers;
- Mass duplication services–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 334614, Software and Other Prerecorded Compact Disc, Tape, and Record Reproducing;
- Merchant wholesale distribution of blank audio cassettes, tapes, and discs–are classified in Industry NAICS 423690, Other Electronic Parts and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers;
- Merchant wholesale distribution of prerecorded audio cassettes, tapes, and discs–are classified in Industry NAICS 423990, Other Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers;
- Managing the careers of artists–are classified in Industry NAICS 711410, Agents and Managers for Artists, Athletes, Entertainers, and Other Public Figures;
- Providing facilities and technical expertise for recording musical performances–are classified in Industry NAICS 512240, Sound Recording Studios; and
- Producing albums on contract as independent producers–are classified in Industry NAICS 711510, Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 512210
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with this classification. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Master recording leasing and licensing
- Record producers (except independent)
- Record production (except independent record producers) without duplication or distribution
Suggested Insurance Conversion Table for NAICS Code 512210
Looking for an insurance classification other than the North American Industry Classification System? If a company falls within the industry defined on this page, then the class codes mentioned below may be applicable. Please note that the bulleted cross-reference guide below is not authoritative. Users should have an insurance professional review to ensure proper insurance classification.
- NCCI WC (Varies by state): 4431
- CA WC: 4922
- DE WC: 0487
- PA WC: 487
- MI WC: 4923
- NJ WC: 4431
- NY WC: 4923
- WY WC: 512210
- GL: 58627
- SIC: 8999
Resources: Praxiom, AceGroup, TDI, California Division of Workers Compensation, Delaware Workers Compensation Manual, Pennsylvania Workers Compensation Manual, Michigan Workers’ Compensation Placement Facility: Classification Definitions, New Jersey Workers Compensation and Employers Liability Insurance Manual, New York Workers Compensation and Employers Liability, North American Industry Classification System, Florida Underwriting Guide: Commercial General Liability Classifications, Standard Industrial Classifications.
The suggested cross reference guide for NAICS code 512210 is based on our research using the resources cited above.
Correlating Code Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry, and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code (Where you are now). If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 51: Information
- Subsector 512: Motion Picture and Sound Recording Industries
- Industry Group 5122: Sound Recording Industries
- Industry 51221: Record Production
- 6 Digit Code(s) NAICS 512210: Record Production
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS Code 512210