NAICS Code 237210 – Land Subdivision
Definition of NAICS Code 237210: This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in servicing land and subdividing real property into lots, for subsequent sale to builders. Servicing of land may include excavation work for the installation of roads and utility lines. The extent of work may vary from project to project. Land subdivision precedes building activity and the subsequent building is often residential, but may also be commercial tracts and industrial parks. These establishments may do all the work themselves or subcontract the work to others. Establishments that perform only the legal subdivision of land are not included in this industry.
- You can also download your own copy of the complete 2017 NAICS Classification Manual. The NAICS Manual is updated every five years. The 2017 copy will be applicable until a new edition is produced in 2022.
Cross Reference Guide for Code 237210
What codes are similar to this classification that might be a more applicable code? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes for other similar industries. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Constructing buildings, for sale, on lots they subdivide–are classified based on the type of construction project, in Industry Group 2361, Residential Building Construction, or Industry Group 2362, Nonresidential Building Construction;
- Installing roads on a subcontract basis for land subdividers–are classified in Industry NAICS 237310, Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction;
- Installing utilities on a subcontract basis for land subdividers–are classified in Industry Group 2371, Utility System Construction;
- Preparing land owned by others for building construction–are classified in Industry NAICS 238910, Site Preparation Contractors;
- Constructing buildings, for rent or own use, on lots they subdivide–are classified in Industry Group 5311, Lessors of Real Estate; and
- Legal subdivision of land without land preparation–are classified elsewhere in the classification system based on the primary activity of the establishment.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 237210
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with this classification. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Building lot subdividing
- Land (except cemeteries) subdividers
- Land acquisition, assembling and subdividing
- Land subdividing and utility installation (e.g., electric, sewer and water)
- Preparing and subdividing land for sale
- Real estate (except cemeteries) subdividers
- Real property (except cemeteries) subdivision
- Subdividers, real estate
- Subdividing and preparing land owned by others
- Subdividing real estate
Insurance Conversion Table for NAICS Code 237210
Looking for an insurance classification other than the North American Industry Classification System? If a company falls within the industry defined on this page, then the class codes mentioned below may be applicable. Please note that the bulleted cross-reference guide below is not authoritative. Users should have an insurance professional review to ensure proper insurance classification.
- NCCI WC (Varies by state): N/A
- CA WC: N/A
- DE WC: N/A
- PA WC: N/A
- MI WC: N/A
- NJ WC: N/A
- NY WC: N/A
- WY WC: 237210
- GL: 47051
- SIC: 6552
Resources: Praxiom, AceGroup, TDI, California Division of Workers Compensation, Delaware Workers Compensation Manual, Pennsylvania Workers Compensation Manual, Michigan Workers’ Compensation Placement Facility: Classification Definitions, New Jersey Workers Compensation and Employers Liability Insurance Manual, New York Workers Compensation and Employers Liability, North American Industry Classification System, Florida Underwriting Guide: Commercial General Liability Classifications, Standard Industrial Classifications.
The suggested cross reference guide for NAICS code 237210 is based on our research using the resources cited above.
Correlating Code Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry, and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code (Where you are now). If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 23: Construction
- Subsector 237: Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction
- Industry Group 2372: Land Subdivision
- Industry 23721: Land Subdivision
- 6 Digit Code(s) NAICS 237210: Land Subdivision
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS Code 237210