NAICS 5 Digit Industry 51222 – Integrated Record Production/Distribution
Definition of NAICS 5 Digit Industry 51222: See industry description for NAICS 512220 below.
Industry Description of NAICS Code 512220: This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in releasing, promoting, and distributing sound recordings. These establishments manufacture or arrange for the manufacture of recordings, such as audio tapes/cassettes and compact discs, and promote and distribute these products to wholesalers, retailers, or directly to the public. Establishments in this industry produce master recordings themselves, or obtain reproduction and distribution rights to master recordings produced by record production companies or other integrated record companies.
Cross-References for Industry 51222
What codes are similar to this industry that might be more applicable? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes that are similar to industry 51222. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Contracting with musical artists, arranging for the production of master recordings, and marketing the reproduction rights–are classified in Industry NAICS 512210, Record Production;
- Providing facilities and technical expertise for recording musical performances–are classified in Industry NAICS 512240, Sound Recording Studios;
- Mass duplication of recorded products–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 334614, Software and Other Prerecorded Compact Disc, Tape, and Record Reproducing;
- Merchant wholesale distribution of prerecorded audio cassettes, tapes, and discs–are classified in Industry NAICS 423990, Other Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers; and
- Retailing records, tapes, and compact discs without producing recordings–are classified in Sector 44-45, Retail Trade.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 5-Digit Industry 51222
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with industry 51222. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Integrated record companies (i.e., releasing, promoting, distributing)
- Integrated record production and distribution
- Musical recording, releasing, promoting, and distributing
- Prerecorded audio tapes and compact discs integrated manufacture, release, and distribution
- Record releasing, promoting, and distributing combined with mass duplication
- Sound recording, integrated production, reproduction, release, and distribution
- Sound recording, releasing, promoting, and distributing
Industry Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry (Where you are now), and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code. If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 51: Information
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS 5 Digit Industry 51222 | Class Codes