NAICS 5 Digit Industry 51221 – Record Production
Definition of NAICS 5 Digit Industry 51221: See industry description for NAICS 512210 below.
Industry Description of NAICS Code 512210: This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in record production (e.g., tapes, CDs). These establishments contract with artists and arrange and finance the production of original master recordings. Establishments in this industry hold the copyright to the master recording and derive most of their revenues from the sales, leasing, and licensing of master recordings. Establishments in this industry do not have their own duplication or distribution capabilities.
Cross-References for Industry 51221
What codes are similar to this industry that might be more applicable? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes that are similar to industry 51221. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Releasing, promoting, and distributing recordings–are classified in Industry NAICS 512220, Integrated Record Production/Distribution;
- Promoting and authorizing the use of musical works in various media–are classified in Industry NAICS 512230, Music Publishers;
- Mass duplication services–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 334614, Software and Other Prerecorded Compact Disc, Tape, and Record Reproducing;
- Merchant wholesale distribution of blank audio cassettes, tapes, and discs–are classified in Industry NAICS 423690, Other Electronic Parts and Equipment Merchant Wholesalers;
- Merchant wholesale distribution of prerecorded audio cassettes, tapes, and discs–are classified in Industry NAICS 423990, Other Miscellaneous Durable Goods Merchant Wholesalers;
- Managing the careers of artists–are classified in Industry NAICS 711410, Agents and Managers for Artists, Athletes, Entertainers, and Other Public Figures;
- Providing facilities and technical expertise for recording musical performances–are classified in Industry NAICS 512240, Sound Recording Studios; and
- Producing albums on contract as independent producers–are classified in Industry NAICS 711510, Independent Artists, Writers, and Performers.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 5-Digit Industry 51221
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with industry 51221. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Master recording leasing and licensing
- Record producers (except independent)
- Record production (except independent record producers) without duplication or distribution
Industry Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry (Where you are now), and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code. If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 51: Information
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS 5 Digit Industry 51221 | Class Codes