NAICS 5 Digit Industry 45211 – Department Stores
Definition of NAICS 5 Digit Industry 45211: This industry comprises establishments known as department stores primarily engaged in retailing a wide range of the following new products with no one merchandise line predominating: apparel, furniture, appliances and home furnishings; and selected additional items, such as paint, hardware, toiletries, cosmetics, photographic equipment, jewelry, toys, and sporting goods. Merchandise lines are normally arranged in separate departments.
Cross-References for NAICS Code 45211
What codes are similar to this industry that might be more applicable? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes that are similar to industry 45211. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Retailing packaged grocery items in combination with general lines of merchandise with no one merchandise line predominating–are classified in Industry 45291, Warehouse Clubs and Supercenters;
- Retailing apparel without a significant amount of housewares or general merchandise–are classified in Subsector 448, Clothing and Clothing Accessories Stores;
- Retailing general lines of merchandise via electronic home shopping, mail-order, or direct sale–are classified in Subsector 454, Nonstore Retailers; and
- Retailing used merchandise–are classified in Industry 45331, Used Merchandise Stores.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 5-Digit Industry 45211
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with industry 45211. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Department stores (except discount department stores)
- Department stores, discount
- Discount department stores
Industry Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry (Where you are now), and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code. If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 44-45: Retail Trade
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS 5 Digit Industry 45211 | Class Codes