NAICS 5 Digit Industry 44511 – Supermarkets and Other Grocery (except Convenience) Stores
Definition of NAICS 5 Digit Industry 44511: See industry description for NAICS 445110 below.
Industry Description of NAICS Code 445110: This industry comprises establishments generally known as supermarkets and grocery stores primarily engaged in retailing a general line of food, such as canned and frozen foods; fresh fruits and vegetables; and fresh and prepared meats, fish, and poultry. Included in this industry are delicatessen-type establishments primarily engaged in retailing a general line of food.
Cross-References for Industry 44511
What codes are similar to this industry that might be more applicable? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes that are similar to industry 44511. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Retailing automotive fuels in combination with a convenience store or food mart–are classified in Industry NAICS 447110, Gasoline Stations with Convenience Stores;
- Retailing a limited line of goods, known as convenience stores or food marts (except those with fuel pumps)–are classified in Industry NAICS 445120, Convenience Stores;
- Retailing frozen food and freezer meal plans via direct sales to residential customers–are classified in Industry NAICS 454390, Other Direct Selling Establishments;
- Providing food services in delicatessen-type establishments–are classified in U.S. Industry NAICS 722513, Limited-Service Restaurants; and
- Retailing fresh meat in delicatessen-type establishments–are classified in Industry NAICS 445210, Meat Markets.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 5-Digit Industry 44511
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with industry 44511. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Commissaries, primarily groceries
- Delicatessens primarily retailing a range of grocery items and meats
- Food (i.e., groceries) stores
- Grocery stores
Industry Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry (Where you are now), and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code. If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 44-45: Retail Trade
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS 5 Digit Industry 44511 | Class Codes