NAICS 5 Digit Industry 23721 – Land Subdivision
Definition of NAICS 5 Digit Industry 23721: See industry description for NAICS 237210 below.
Industry Description of NAICS Code 237210: This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in servicing land and subdividing real property into lots, for subsequent sale to builders. Servicing of land may include excavation work for the installation of roads and utility lines. The extent of work may vary from project to project. Land subdivision precedes building activity and the subsequent building is often residential, but may also be commercial tracts and industrial parks. These establishments may do all the work themselves or subcontract the work to others. Establishments that perform only the legal subdivision of land are not included in this industry.
Cross-References for Industry 23721
What codes are similar to this industry that might be more applicable? The cross-reference guide below displays the codes that are similar to industry 23721. Please review to find the most applicable classification.
- Constructing buildings, for sale, on lots they subdivide–are classified based on the type of construction project, in Industry Group 2361, Residential Building Construction, or Industry Group 2362, Nonresidential Building Construction;
- Installing roads on a subcontract basis for land subdividers–are classified in Industry NAICS 237310, Highway, Street, and Bridge Construction;
- Installing utilities on a subcontract basis for land subdividers–are classified in Industry Group 2371, Utility System Construction;
- Preparing land owned by others for building construction–are classified in Industry NAICS 238910, Site Preparation Contractors;
- Constructing buildings, for rent or own use, on lots they subdivide–are classified in Industry Group 5311, Lessors of Real Estate; and
- Legal subdivision of land without land preparation–are classified elsewhere in the classification system based on the primary activity of the establishment.
Other Index Entries for NAICS 5-Digit Industry 23721
The North American Industry Classification System contains multiple index entries that are each descriptive of the same code. The bulleted list below shows all applicable index entries (Current and former) that are associated with industry 23721. These index entries further elaborate on the scope of applicable industries that have already been defined at the top of this page.
- Building lot subdividing
- Land (except cemeteries) subdividers
- Land acquisition, assembling and subdividing
- Land subdividing and utility installation (e.g., electric, sewer and water)
- Preparing and subdividing land for sale
- Real estate (except cemeteries) subdividers
- Real property (except cemeteries) subdivision
- Subdividers, real estate
- Subdividing and preparing land owned by others
- Subdividing real estate
Industry Breakdown for North American Industry Classification System
NAICS codes are broken down by digit. The broadest description starts with the 2 digit sector codes. The 3 digit subsector codes are more specific, then the 4 digit industry group, 5 digit industry (Where you are now), and the most specific is the 6 digit NAICS code. If the code on this page does not describe the industry of the business in question, then select the largest applicable code below. From there, follow through the progression of smaller digits to the larger digits in order to obtain the most specific 6 digit classification.
- Sector 23: Construction
Other helpful NAICS Downloads
View the download page for the material below.
- The North American Industry Classification System (PDF)
- 2017 NAICS Structure with Change Indicator (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Descriptions (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 6-Digit Codes (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Structure Summary Table (XLS)
- 2017 NAICS Cross Reference (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2012 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2012 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2012 2-6 Digit Code File (XLS)
- 2012 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to 2007 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS to 2002 NAICS Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2007 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2007 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2007 NAICS Index File (XLS)
- 2007 6 Digit NAICS Code File (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS to SIC Crosswalk (XLS)
- 2002 NAICS Manual Definitions (PDF)
- 2002 6-Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
- 2002 2-6 Digit NAICS Code File (TXT)
NAICS 5 Digit Industry 23721 | Class Codes